Five Things About Vicenza in AugustPosted: 08/13/2011
August is not a typical month in Italy. Life is not quite the same as it is throughout the rest of the year. Here is why…
1. August (and July) is vacation time in Italy. You will run into many shops and businesses that are not open. Call ahead to avoid frustration.
2. Driving in Vicenza will be a bit easier than typical. Lots of people are on vacation. Even if they are not travelling, people will probably still be at home when you are going to work. Less traffic on the roads means a quicker trip to get to Caserma Ederle!
3. Sales! If you love to shop and need new summer clothes, August is the time to indulge. Everything is getting marked down and bargains are yours for the taking.
4. Tourist attractions are swamped. This is not the month to go to Venice or Rome, unless you enjoy crowds and inflated costs. Wait to visit those famous landmarks until next month.
5. Festivals are in full swing in July and August. Whether you wish for beer and bruschetta or sopressa (a sausage), they have a festival for that! Good food and music. Plus there is usually a carnival to entertain the kids!
Love it or hate it, August is definitely when summer is in full swing for the Italians. As long as you know what to expect, your month will go smoothly!